Switches And Outlets
If you are like most of the homeowners in Anoka and Stillwater, you know exactly where all the electrical switches in your home are, and you reach for them without even looking. And the same goes for your electrical outlets. You glance toward one as you insert a plug, but your mind is miles away. As long as they work, meaning the light comes on or the vacuum is powered, we pay no attention to their health and well-being. It is very black and white, they work, or they don’t. And in the case of an outlet, you might not even care because there are so many more to use. But that lack of concern can create significant safety issues and even an electrical fire.
Old Age And Electrical Outlets
Like everything in your home, outlets will age and eventually wear out. But unlike many items, an old outlet can go out in a blaze of glory. Loose wires, deteriorated wiring, or faulty connections can be responsible for a single spark that turns into smoke, smoldering, and a fire inside the wall of your home. There can even be more subtle issues like the old outlets with no ground wire and the outlets and wiring installed before high-demand electronics were even on the drawing board. But the big question homeowners are wondering is how to know when their outlets and switches are past their prime?
The Telltale Signs Of Outdated Outlets And Switches
Beyond the obvious ancient, yellowed two-prong outlets, there are several ways to realize that it is time to call 612-236-9052 to speak to the licensed electricians at Lumberjack Electric regarding the safety and functionality of your home’s electrical outlets. Some of the more common indications include:
- Sparks And Smoke – These are two words you never want to have associated with your home’s electrical system. So if you ever see a spark when you insert or remove a plug from an outlet, call 612-236-9052 immediately. If the unique odor of burnt toast accompanies that spark, know that there is a tiny fire smoldering in your wall that could quickly lead to disaster.
- Cracked Outlet And Switch Covers – The covers on your home’s outlets and switches are much more than a design feature. They are used to protect you from a nasty shock and keep dust and dirt out of the electrical connection. Damaged covers are signs that it is time to have all the outlets and switches inspected by the pros at Lumberjack Electric and upgraded as needed.
- Flickering Lights – This is never a good sign. In the case of a lamp that is plugged into an outlet rather than hard-wired lighting, the flickering indicates inconsistent power, a lack of power, or a bad switch. Your licensed electrician from Lumberjack Electric will determine the cause of the flickering and provide you with reliable ways to eliminate the issue and ensure the safety of your home.
When you experience any of these signs of trouble, call 612-236-9052 to request an electrical inspection from the experts at Lumberjack Electric to eliminate potential safety hazards in your home.