Common Electrical Shock Causes

Common Electrical Shock Causes

Every Minneapolis/St. Paul area home depends on electricity for heating and cooling, entertainment, and cooking. But what we rarely consider is the risk of electrical shock that can occur when we become complacent or take this modern marvel for granted. Sadly, that same mindset is responsible for over 30,000 electrical shocks each year in the United States. Fortunately, they are non-fatal. However, that does not mean that they are not very painful and can result in devastating burns and other injures. Your friends at Lumberjack Electric want to make you aware of 5 common causes of electrical shocks and how you can avoid these dangers in your home.

Faulty Outlets and Switches

Old wire connections, degraded wire insulation, loose outlets, and missing screws can lead to faulty electrical outlets and switches and an increased potential for electrical shocks. Even a loose electrical box housing an outlet or switch can create a safety hazard. The best way to avoid these common hazards is professional electrical inspections and repairs by the licensed electricians at Lumberjack Electric.

Outdated Outlets

If your home has only two-prong outlets rather than the newer three-prong models with a ground, you are at risk for electrical shocks. That ground prong and wire represent an added layer of safety for anyone handling a plug going into or coming out of an electrical outlet. That tiny sliver of metal gives the electrical current somewhere to go other than through your body. If you do not have three-prong outlets and GFCI outlets in your home, call 612-236-9052 to schedule an appointment for outlet upgrades from the licensed electricians at Lumberjack Electric.

Faulty, Damaged, Or Worn Out Appliances

Old, damaged, and worn-out electrical appliances do not move the electricity as well as they once did. For example, you could discover that a wire has cracked insulation and is bleeding current through the metal door of the oven or to the handle of a small appliance. Broken cords, bent plugs, and degraded circuitry are all factors that can turn your device into a severe shock hazard. If an appliance is old or damaged, replace it to avoid severe electrical shocks.

Electricity And Water

Electricity and water do not mix. There is no safe way to combine the two, and that is why all moist areas of your home should have GFCI outlets. These outlets have a fast-acting circuit breaker that will shut off the electric current within 1/40th of a second in the event of a ground fault such as water contacting the outlet. If you do not have these safety outlets in your home, call 612-236-9052 to have them installed by the experts at Lumberjack Electric.

Unsafe Use Of Electricity

Everyone needs to use added care and caution around electricity. This extra attention to detail is essential, from drying your hands before grabbing a plug to using childproof outlet covers in areas children can access. If you have questions about electrical safety in your home, call 612-236-9052 to speak to the experts at Lumberjack Electric to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones.

Lumberjack Electric

5720 International Parkway
New Hope, MN 55428